Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Aiming for the Peugeot "Pug" 308 GT Instead

It's funny how an unkind remark can become a catalyst for my making one of the biggest financial decisions in my life - instead of getting the Peugeot "Pug" 308 Turbo HP as I initially planned, I'm forgoing that and getting the Pug 308 GT instead. I'm even forgoing the Proton Exora as a third car for the family.
"Anonymous" said in his or her comment on one of my blog posts the other day, "Christ!!! Boring blog here u've got", which was fair comment, albeit unkind. More importantly, "Anonymous" added, "except for the pic of yr nice ride but high on maintenance after 3 yrs. Cheers!" (see http://grinnerscarsmalaysiablog.blogspot.com/2009/05/forced-to-migrate-from-yahoo-360.html#comments)
And that got me thinking. Despite the Ford Focus S2.0's steep maintenance cost, it's quite a looker still.
In fact, that was the main reason why I bought the Focus S2.0 in the first place. I didn't care much about the fact that there were far better performing cars out in the market then. I also didn't care that it wasn't as popular as the Honda Civic.
The first time I saw the Focus S2.0, which was in a poster advertisement hung on one of the pillars at Mid Valley Megamall, I said, "If only I could afford such an beautiful but expensive car." Back then, I could only afford a Proton Waja.
About two years later, I bought a Focus S2.0.
Who knows? Two years from now, I may be able to afford a Pug 308 GT.
Meanwhile, I can continue enjoying the Focus S2.0. It may not be as powerful as the Pug 308 Turbo, but it's still better looking (at least to me).
Of course, getting the Pug 308 GT would involve making lots of sacrifices. Firstly, I'm going to have to put aside quite a lot of money in order to get one.
This means forgoing the Exora, as I mentioned earlier, and a family driver to chauffeur my kids to school and back - or rather, I'm going to have to be the chauffeur, at least until my kids are comfortable with the idea of changing to a school closer to our new home in Glenmarie Cove.
Secondly, I'm going to have to resist my desperate urge to get the Pug 308 Turbo! The feeling can be so intense, I find myself dithering between not buying and buying almost on a day-to-day basis.
Thirdly, the Pug 308 GT is going to be even more expensive to maintain than my Focus S2.0.
But what the hey! It's probably one of the most affordable performance cars that isn't too far off from the mid-range price band - I won't feel so guilty breaking my resolve in sticking to mid-range cars.
But then, I have about two-years cooling off period. Who knows? Maybe I won't get a Pug 308 GT after all and just stick to driving my, by then, old Focus S2.0.
Then again, if I do get a Pug 308 GT, one of the things I'm going to have to do is get bigger tyres and get ZR rated ones at that - currently, the car's tyres are too thin and only R-rated :P

No comments:

Post a Comment