Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ford Fiesta, Stay Away-Ya!


My auntie in the UK swears by them.

Cars, Bikes & Trucks (NST/Maybank) presented them with the Compact Car Award 2010.

But here I am saying bad things about them.

That's right. I'm saying stay away from Ford Fiestas.

Am I biased? Has my rotten experience with the Ford Focus coloured my judgment?

Well, consider this.

In the UK, Fords go on and on, and on.

I even drove a couple during the holidays, in between university semester breaks in the UK.

In fact, I loved the Fiesta so much, I really looked forward to owning a Ford Focus.

But the one thing I overlooked before buying my Focus had been the poor supply chain management in Malaysia when it comes to Ford cars, such that parts that are reasonably priced in the UK are not so reasonably priced in Malaysia (see my earlier posting http://grinnerscarsmalaysiablog.blogspot.com/2011/01/dont-let-your-car-make-you-poorer.html).

Didn't it strike anyone as odd how Ford cars lost their popularity in Malaysia? Well, it's not because they don't have what it takes to have a following, as much as the fact that they're more expensive to own and operate than most cars.

To boost the popularity of Ford Fiesta in Malaysia, Ford has thrown in a 3+3 package deal, i.e. 3 years warranty plus 3 years free maintenance. This is to make the car more appealing to discerning buyers.

Well, don't be fooled. For the first three years, everything will be hunky dory. But what about after the first three years when major problems need repairing?

You might think that you'd be able to afford the repairs. Well, God bless and good luck.

Many people get comfortable with not having to foot the service and repair bills during the first 3 three years, such that they don't really account for the need to cut back on other expenditures after the first 3 years.

The point of the matter is, if you're going to be saddled with expensive maintenance bills you should get a far better car.

Yes, the Fiesta has won accolades for first-in-class technology and safety features - yada yada yada. In the end, it's just a glorified looking, underpowered 1.6L hatchback that can easily be outgunned by the Proton Inspira 1.8L - Oh! the shame!

If you're going to be spending money on an expensive-to-maintain car, you'd be better off with a better car.

In short, don't waste your time and money on the Ford Fiesta when, on the balance, there are other cars that give you better value for money.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything under 2.0 and not turbo? Ok come, my car is stock and I only pay rm70 for my road tax :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samlee860407, 0-100kph mungkin your stock FFiesta menang over my Kia Forte 2.0SX, because of the Fiesta's light body, but beyond that, well... not likely-lah :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, my facts are rubbish to you? Well, I can't force you to believe in them. You're free to believe whatever you want, as I am free to write whatever "rubbish" I want (as long as it's not libellous).

    FYI, my old Waja 1.6M does 9.6 seconds for 0-100Kmh without any heavy modification - just a RM600+ upgrade with a 4-2-1 extractor. So, a FFiesta doing 9.9s is really not impressive...

    With a little bit of tweaking, the Inspira 1.8L Manual can easily shave off a few miliseconds, but like I said earlier, whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Junk like Proton? Now that's utter rubbish. Many people have issues with Proton but to say that all its cars are junk is, well, incomprehensible and rubbish.

    Comparing manual with auto? You did, so why can't I? What nonsense. What rubbish.

    Same mod? Ok true, but not same price - much, much cheaper for Waja. And good luck getting a similar extractor here in Malaysia for the Fiesta. Not forgetting the fact that you'd also void your 3-year warranty... Ha!

    Forte top speed is around 206kph, but I've never tried it. Not enough road that's clear of traffic in Malaysia. But even if it's just 200kph, that's more than what a Fiesta can reach.

    Yes, a lot of other cars can reach 200kph. Just not the Fiesta 1.6L :P

    Korean junk? Malaysian assembled Korean junk? Again, what a rubbishly sweeping statement! And quite surprising, really, since you don't like people writing rubbish...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't tolerate people who don't know when to call it quits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My blog, my choice to delete posts, especially those made by annoying people with small minds and with too much time on their hands...

    Post again and I'll just click on that magic little icon called "SPAM" and *poof!* your post is gone.

    Post again and I'll make it disappear with touch of a button.

    Again and again, and again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. Comparing 1.6L car to 1.8L and 2.0L cars.

    ReplyDelete