Sunday, October 4, 2009

My Work, My Life


If life is so revolved around work, why is it that people say that those who work so hard don't have a life? If what they say is true, why work if you want to live? And yes, that's a rhetorical question.

Most people spend their childhood preparing for their working life through education, both formal and informal. Why?

Most people see education as the means for getting out of poverty, both absolute and relative. Why?

For most people, life's rewards don't always come on a silver platter. And this is why work often defines a person's dignity.

As Sade used to sing in one of her chart topping songs:

Papa's been laid-off,

Mama's been laid-off,

Billy can't get a job,

For too long, too long,

Ooh can't get a job, Billy can't get a job,

Oooh, they gotta listen to the blues...

These lyrics were so moving to me that, when I was just starting out in life, I was grateful for whatever job I had, no matter how crappy it was.

Nearly two decades later, after accomplishing more than I ever thought I could, my work is still my life because I don't want to listen to the blues, ever.
My family needs a comfortable roof over our heads. My children need good, wholesome education.

And I need to retire in comfort.

So, I'll do whatever it takes to ensure that I don't lose my life....

No comments:

Post a Comment