Sunday, October 18, 2009

Don't Buy Wheels Weekly


Having missed out on my weekend reading of NST's "Cars, Bikes and Trucks", I decided to buy what I thought would be a promising alternative - Wheels Weekly. At RM3.90, this weekend car magazine in newsprint sports the British Union Jack on its marque, but upon a closer inspection, I found it to be filled with broken English, such that I couldn't help but wonder, "Is this mag for real?"

For that matter, the poor editing and language style are reminiscent of those found in a college magazine produced by students who haven't quite gotten the hang of English.

For instance, on page 6, in the article, "Rapist Tries to Outrun Porsche Vigilantes with Chevrolet Aveo - Failed," (Oct 2009, Issue 3), the last sentence reads, "Some however, said the women was lucky Ryan didn't bought a 911 GT3 RS - Where it didn't came with rear seats."

OMG! Who the heck sub-edited this article? And was the editor sleeping on the job?

OK, so people make mistakes. Even the best publications let slip a few typographical errors every so often.

But come on! Such blatant grammar errors are just too much - at least for me, and that's because I edit for a living and I don't want to have to mentally edit something when I'm not working!

In any case, with such poor English, it boggles the mind as to how Wheels Weekly could be a British magazine produced locally. If it is, well, it'd better get its act together or it'll lose readers from the get-go - readers like me.
---------------------
Addendum: Hmm... apparently, I touched off a few raw nerves with this entry. I wonder if any of my FB friends are involved with this publication. Oh, well... what can I say? I suppose I could have been more tactful, but it wouldn't change the facts I pointed out.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Bobby from Wheels Weekly here. Stumbled upon your blog whilst googling. Hope you won't find this intruding. Do you mind me posting this blog post of yours on our 'Weekliens' section where we post comments from readers?

    Apologies for the lack of good command in english, yeap it's not an excuse, we do try to correct them as much as we could, but with our collective wisdoms (of limited english proficiency), of being Malaysians (poor in Bahasa, poor in Mandarin) our best shot is english in pursuing our passion of publishing a cheap, local magazine.

    As for the Union Jack flanking the Mini, its actually a change of our logo to commemorate Mini's 50th Anniversary, our magazine is not affiliated with any international english medium publication. It's entirely produced, edited in KL, except the fact that we have editors in US, Europe and Singapore.

    I've actually been waiting for someone to go medieval with my english standards, and thankful enough, you're probably the first. Its actually one of the aspects I seriously considered before publishing our first issue. However when thoughts of Italians, French or German who don't really bother if they can or cannot speak english, (I reckon it's the lack of inferiority complex for them comparing themselves with Brits) I decided to go ahead anyway.

    Well, sorry for this long comment, but I do really welcome more critical, edgy comments like yours, Malaysians are just too timid. Besides the english, how do you find the contents? The way we reveal the Lexus LF-CH as CT200h and all?

    Nice meeting you by the way, looking forward for your reply.

    Bobby
    Wheels Weekly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Bobby, I commend you for being open to such critical feedback. Others who are less composed or less balanced would have gone ballistic already.
    I had one former FB friend responding with "Who the f*** cares, la?!"
    Apparently, that former friend of mine cared enough to be angry.
    Anyway, I digress...
    Yeah, the Lexus was nice to look at, especially since I'm a hot-hatch enthusiast.
    And with you being so nice and all, I'm encouraged to buy more editions of your weekly mag.
    So, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks .... errm I haven't gotten your name though. Hope we could add each other in FB.

    bobby@wheels-weekly.com

    As for FB, its

    bobbyangeway@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried to add you Bobby, but you could not be invited. Look for me under http://www.facebook.com/ahmadfaiz.abdulrahman

    ReplyDelete
  5. just linked this article on my facebook account. it’s a very interesting article for all.
    Effen Wheels Alloy Wheels for sale

    ReplyDelete