Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tailgated by a “Chihuahua” Saga FL


I’ve been meaning to blog about the new Saga FL or, rather, the not so new Saga FL, now that it’s been out for several months already. But I kept putting it off.

I didn’t quite know whether to love it or hate it more than the old “new” Saga.

The Saga FL looks more masculine, what with its sharper, more angular headlights.

And because of that, some people perasan gila (get dreams of grandeur), like the dickhead who souped up his Saga FL and tailgated my Kia Forte 2.0SX.

One upside to that is, I get the motivation to blog about the Saga FL and how it performs when souped up.

In one word? Fast.

I don’t know what the guy did to his Saga FL, but the thing was like a little Chihuahua on steroids. Come to think of it, it looked like one too, what with the sharper, “meanie” looks of the Saga FL.

More importantly, each time my Forte was held up by fast-lane road hoggers, almost in the blink of an eye, the dickhead caught up in his “Chihuahua” Saga FL and tailgated me some more.

Of course, outrunning the thing was not a problem for my 2.0L Forte. Despite under-revving and slowly accelerating, I pulled ahead of the dickhead by as much as 500m or more.

Then, road hoggers would slow me down and, there it was, the “Chihuahua” Saga FL fully in my rear view mirror. It was so close to my Forte’s rear I could almost see the white of the eyes of the dickhead behind its wheel.

So, what did I do? Move aside? No way.

I gunned my Forte’s engine as soon as the fast-lane cleared and left the “Chihuahua” Saga FL behind yet again.

And so, that was how it went, until the dickhead driving the “Chihuahua” Saga FL decided to hang left into a via-duct and tailgated someone else.

One thing’s for sure, I have a newfound respect for the Saga FL. Too bad its manufacturer Proton still has a stinking reputation of producing cars of lesser quality, a reputation it has yet to shed fully because of decades of shoddy workmanship or build-quality of Proton cars.

And let’s not forget, all Proton cars are overpriced.

Also, the Saga FL’s more masculine looks make it less than suitable to girls or women drivers. I can’t seem to reconcile “meanie car” with “cutie behind the wheel”.

Ah, well. Maybe it’s just me, but if girls or women were truly the target market, I think the old “new” Saga’s more feminine looks did a better job at catering to them.

4 comments:

  1. saga can be considered good value for it category..especially compared to the much more expensive myvi..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sedans are generally cheaper than hatchbacks and more appealing because of the extra bootspace.

    So, it is a good move by Proton to concentrate on the Saga sedan instead of the silly "aeroback" Saga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can i know the top speed of your car??..i really wanted to get one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... I really don't know. The fastesst I've gone is 180KMh when chasing after a VW Golf 1.6TSI. Didn't have to go any faster than that.

    Reportedly, the Forte can reach 206KMh. I don't think I'll ever see whether that is true on Malaysian roads.

    Madness! The roads in Malaysia are not built for that kind of speed.

    What's more, other road users are hazards to anyone travelling that fast - one second you're not there, the next you're right beside them crashing into them when they suddenly switch to the fast lane.

    Wham! Bam! And good bye world.

    ReplyDelete