Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Life's Great Money Waster - Buying 1st Hand Cars


It's been said before but it's worth saying again. Buying first hand cars is a great money waster because of the immense depreciation cost involved.
Still, people can't resist buying 1st hand cars, including people like me.
It's the satisfaction of buying the latest and the sleekest.
It's the satisfaction of smelling the brand new interior.
It's the satisfaction of not hearing creaks and rattles.
In short, it's the satisfaction of a whole host of things that come with buying a brand new car that gets car enthusiasts like me going.
The downside, of course, is the pain of ever mounting debt.
It's the pain of not having enough money to do other things that are important, like preparing for children's education, retirement, etc.
In short, it's the pain of a whole host of things that come with buying a brand new car that gets enthusiast like me down in the dumps.
So, on the balance, only one question remains - can you afford it?
For me, I know I could but not without a whole lot of heartache arising from being short on money every end of the month.
So, I'm going to stick to doing what I've always done - keep my cars until I have a very good reason to change to a new one.
But damn! That's hard too. Each time I look at the Mitsu Lancer Evo X, my heart skips a beat.
So much so, each time I have money to spare, it's that same old question of "Do I - Don't I?" that pops up.
But no, I'm sticking to my resolve. No more brand new cars unless I can't help it (like if my old car becomes a clunker or is no longer value for money).
Meanwhile, I'll focus on my old Ford Focus S2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment