Sunday, July 19, 2009

K&N Filter - Performance You Can Feel!


Finally, after nearly three years of owning my Ford Focus S2.0, I've put aside enough money to put in a K&N filter for my Focus' air intake. And as expected, the K&N filter allows my car to perform better.

I didn't dyno the car. So, I don't quite know how much more brake horsepower (bhp) the car has now.

But from what I can feel, my Focus revs more smoothly and is more eager to go, just like how it had been with my old Waja when I swapped its air filter out for a K&N filter.

To be sure, it's not very expensive - about RM330 after discount from Eneos. But in light of all the other things I have to spend on the car, the filter isn't priority (which was why I put it off till now).

And it's not difficult to install. Just unscrew the air intake box and drop the K&N filter in (hence, the term 'drop-in' filter).

But I didn't have the tools and didn't want to dirty my hands. So, I asked an Eneos mechanic to do it.

Although he was quite happy to oblige at first, midway, he started swearing something about his mother's private parts in Cantonese. He had dropped a screw driver head into my engine bay and couldn't retrieve it easily and had to unscrew my undercarriage engine cover to retrieve it - all for a tiny screw driver head!

Anyway, it all ended well. He got his screw driver head and I got my filter installed.

And I drove away, shouting "Woo-hoo!" when my car accelerated with more gusto.

What's next? I dunno. I'm thinking of getting the engine "port and polished", and then "blue-printed". These would take thousands of ringgit and months of workshop downtime.

And I would have to get another car while the Focus is in the workshop.

So, I suppose, these will have to wait till much, much later.

No comments:

Post a Comment